Basic Constructions are the foundation upon which many topics are built, in particular Solids in Contact. They can come up in Section A in their own right (2012 A-3) or they also come up in the exam as part of questions (2017 A-3, 2016 A-4).
Syllabus Learning Outcomes
(Leaving Certificate Design and Communication Graphics Syllabus, 2006)
What You Need to Know!
The key constructions you need to know are:
- Bisect a line
- Bisect an angle
- Construct perpendiculars to lines
- Dividing a line into a given number of parts or a given ratio
- Construct a circumscribing and inscribing circle around and inside a triangle
- Find the centre of a circle given 4 points or 2 chords
- Construct a triangle given its base, top angle and altitude
- Construct a triangle given the top angle, length of 1 side and the base
- Construct a triangle given the perimeter and the ratio of its sides
- Construct a tangent to a circle from a point on the circle and a point outside the circle
- Construct an external and internal tangent between 2 unequal circles
- Construct external and internal tangent arcs to 2 circles
The key uses of Loci you need to know are:
- Construct a circle to touch a line and 2 given points
- Construct a circle to touch both arms of an angle and a given point
- Construct a circle to touch a given circle and 2 given points
- Construct a circle to touch 3 given circles
- Construct a circle to touch a line and 2 given circles
Practice Textbook Questions
- P9 Q8
- P10 Q11
- P10 Q12
- P16 Q8
- P16 Q9
- P17 Q11
- P23 Q3
- P26 Q16
- P26 Q19
Past Exam Paper Questions
- 2012 A-3
- 2016 A-4
- 2017 A-3
*Loci will be revised to a greater extent while practicing Solids in Contact Questions
Best of luck with your revision! If you have any questions or insights please comment below.
Leaving Certificate Design and Communication Graphics Syllabus. (2006). Dublin: The Stationary Office, p.15.
Anderson, D. (2007). Graphics in Design and Communication 1. Dublin: Gill & Macmillan, pp.9-26.